• Welcome to RealShit, where Real Discussions happen. Whether it's movies, TV, music, games, or anything else on your mind, RealShit is the place to talk about it. No filters, just honest conversations. Jump in to join the conversation and share what you're thinking.

news Legendary Hollywood Stuntman Bob Yerkes Dies at 92 After Thrilling 70-Year Career

For threads sharing current events, updates, or important information.

Hollywood Info

Realist One
Reaction score
Shit Coins
Ṩ19
Bob Yerkes, the legendary Hollywood stuntman who pulled off daring feats for nearly 70 years, passed away on October 1 at 92. Known for performing stunts in Return of the Jedi, Back to the Future, and Commando, Yerkes was often set on fire, thrown off buildings, or catapulted from moving trains.

During his career, he doubled for stars like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Charles Bronson, becoming a legend among his peers for his fearlessness and skill. Despite numerous concussions and breaking both legs multiple times, Yerkes kept working into his 80s.

Yerkes' backyard in Northridge became a training ground for aspiring stunt performers, with circus swings and platforms where he mentored countless professionals. His work extended beyond film, training celebrities for Circus of the Stars and performing stunts in films like Poltergeist and Ghostbusters.

Born in Santa Monica, Yerkes began his journey into acrobatics at 11 and later joined the circus. He transitioned to Hollywood in 1948, performing stunts in Julia Misbehaves. His faith became a guiding force later in life, as he credited divine grace for helping him survive his dangerous career. He was also deeply involved in Christian media advocacy.

Yerkes is survived by his son, Mark. His legacy as a fearless, bruised, but durable Hollywood stuntman lives on.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/17/movies/bob-yerkes-dead.html

Good to see a stuntman honored after his passing.

A lot of people don't realize that their favorite actors aren't doing their own stunts, and people in their place are doing the dangerous stuff that could actually get them killed, so that their favorite actor can live on in more movies.

I hope people woke up to this fact with the recent movie The Fall Guy.

One thing I admire about Keanu Reeves: He understands the value they add to his acting. He's given his stuntmen various things from motorcycles to Rolex watches and other gifts after wrapping up filming.

Bob Yerkes was a great stuntman! In films such as Return of the Jedi and Back to the Future, he did some awesomely cool stunt. He has even worked with Hollywood actors such as Arnold Schwarzenegger. And when he gets injured in films, he does not stop and flee, but he continues acting. He will always be remembered for the awesome work he did for the movies.

Bob Yerkes was a stunt hero even though @Harsh World didn't believe he performed those stunt for real. He made his movies look like magic by performing those awesome stunts. He did everything from being set on fire, jumping off a moving train and some other things. I also heard that he was teaching people how to do stunts on television programs such as Circus of the Stars. In my mind, he will always remain a true Hollywood legend.

Bob Yerkes was a stunt hero even though @Harsh World didn't believe he performed those stunt for real.
No, I'm saying I'm glad that a stuntman was honored. In comparison, this is like honoring a waitress at a restaurant.

A lot of people don't realize that their favorite actors aren't doing their own stunts
This refers to the mindset of a lot of moviegoers when they see an action film. They wonder, "How did Bruce Willis (or insert another famous action actor) pull that off?"

Well, they did it with stuntmen, or they might not be around at worst, or miss movie deadlines at best in some cases. Nobody bothers to stay through the full credits when they list X's stuntmen, and even if they did, they wouldn't care as much that someone else did it, just that it was done.

Back
Top Bottom