• Welcome to RealShit, where Real Discussions happen. Whether it's movies, TV, music, games, or anything else on your mind, RealShit is the place to talk about it. No filters, just honest conversations. Jump in to join the conversation and share what you're thinking.

fitness What you have to worry about with fitness as you age...

This general fitness thread covers all aspects of fitness, including workouts, nutrition, wellness tips, lifestyle changes, and fitness advice.

Harsh World

Real Fanatic
Reaction score
Shit Coins
Ṩ589
Title Glow
Italify Name
Atomic Wasteland
What you have to worry about with fitness as you age: Stretching.

About a week ago, I was stretching my triceps by standing and leaning against the wall as usual. I was rolling left and right with a good stretch in on my right arm. Next up was my left. While rolling in the stretch, I felt something off. However, I continued through the stretch and then completed my full shoulder workout.

Fast forward a day or two and I'm having trouble sleeping because of an aching pain in my shoulder. This typically is the sign of when my shoulder impingement begins, so I set my chiropractor appointment.

As I'm there, I tell him that it's not in the same spot as usual, and he immediately can determine that it's not shoulder impingement this time. Rather, it's soft tissue damage that could lead to a bigger problem with the rotator cuff, which if you don't know, could require surgery to repair, if I had continued to work out after being fixed up, as I do when impingement occurs.

He still aligned my shoulders, hips, and back, but recommended deep tissue sports massage and icing for this, and to take 2 weeks off.

So today, I'm off to get a deep tissue massage.

I hope it heals sooner than 2 weeks so I can get back to the grind!

Ouch! I'm so sorry to hear about that stuff. It's important to consider how we stretch as we get older. As a senior, let me give you a few tips to get you started 🤣

1. You need to warm up before stretching.
2. You need to listen to your body and don't push too hard..
3. Lastly, you need to be very gentle with your joints.

Do this and thank me later.

1. You need to warm up before stretching.
I do arm swings/rotations in the air, always have, just to get the juices flowing in the rotator cuff. However, I usually do these after static stretching.

I may need to reconsider the order now... :D
3. Lastly, you need to be very gentle with your joints.
Fortunately, it wasn't the joint (or rotator cuff) as that would knock me out of lifting even grocery bags for months if it required surgery.

I've yet to see a sports massage therapist to get the muscles worked out really nice and good. That should put me back into business once I recover from the painful massage.

Back
Top Bottom