• Welcome to RealShit, where Real Discussions happen. Whether it's movies, TV, music, games, or anything else on your mind, RealShit is the place to talk about it. No filters, just honest conversations. Jump in to join the conversation and share what you're thinking.

album Toxicity

For threads focused on discussing a specific music album.
Title: Toxicity
Artist: System of a Down
Genre: No Genre Specified

Tracks:
1 - Prison Song - 3:21
2 - Needles - 3:13
3 - Deer Dance - 2:55
4 - Jet Pilot - 2:06
5 - X - 1:58
6 - Chop Suey! - 3:30 -
7 - Bounce - 1:54
8 - Forest - 4:00
9 - ATWA - 2:56
10 - Science - 2:43
11 - Shimmy - 1:51
12 - Toxicity - 3:38 -
13 - Psycho - 3:45
14 - Aerials / Arto - 6:11 -

Overview:
Toxicity is the second album by Armenian-American alternative metal band System of a Down. Produced by Rick Rubin, Toxicity was released on September 4, 2001 by American Recordings, debuting at number 1 on both the United States, with 220,000 copies, and number 1 on the Canadian charts. Toxicity has sold over 12 million copies worldwide and is multi-platinum in the United States, making it their best-selling album there. The band have mentioned the ironic predicament of the album being released exactly one week before 9/11 on numerous occasions.
Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB
Toxicity is an album that I can throw on and listen to from front to back.

Starting off with (#01) Prison Song, it sets an anti-establishment tone, covering how minor offenses can ruin your life with long prison sentences over rehabilitation or other methods of punishment, such as community service. (#03) Deer Dance goes on to paint that same establishment as pushing their weight around, whether through peace or not.

I always took (#05) X as a song that spoke of an invading army of lands where they're not wanted.

(#06) Chop Suey! takes the cake here as I believe it was the first single that dropped from this album. To me, it feels like it's a song about good people going through difficult times and only seeing one way out, with the empathetic lyrics, "I cry when angels deserve to die."

I don't believe that (#07) Bounce has much meaning to it besides the adult-themed undertones, but it is a fun song to still let play through.

(#09) ATWA I feel is about someone with no hope and in despair, not understanding that there are people out there who do care.

The song (#10) Science I believe is about people falling for and only following empirical data and losing touch with conceptual data, or higher beings than science, that is.

(#11) Shimmy is another one of those fun songs. It's about getting an education to get farther in life. However, I believe that's not the only important aspect of becoming successful in life. I believe that it also has an underlying message that everyone is educated the same, so conformity in all beliefs might end up the same.

Another single from this album was (#12) Toxicity. Recently, I read the vocalist Serj Tankian's take on the lyrics of "somewhere between the silence and sleep" essentially being the time between when your head hits the pillow to a full-blown dream that can spiral out of control into a nightmare. That completely changed my outlook on the song. Between the silence and sleep is the perfect mental state.

And finally, (#14) Ariels is a song that I believe is about finding peace for yourself.

5/5 Album from SOAD

Back
Top Bottom