• Welcome to RealShit, where Real Discussions happen. Whether it's movies, TV, music, games, or anything else on your mind, RealShit is the place to talk about it. No filters, just honest conversations. Jump in to join the conversation and share what you're thinking.

album The Massacre (2005)

For threads focused on discussing a specific music album.
Title: The Massacre
Artist: 50 Cent
Genre: Hip-Hop
Released: 2005

Tracks:
1 - Intro - 0:41
2 - In My Hood - 3:51
3 - This Is 50 - 3:04
4 - I'm Supposed to Die Tonight - 3:51
5 - Piggy Bank - 4:15
6 - Gatman and Robbin' - 3:46
7 - Candy Shop - 3:29 -
8 - Outta Control - 3:21
9 - Get in My Car - 4:05
10 - Ski Mask Way - 3:05
11 - A Baltimore Love Thing - 4:17
12 - Ryder Music - 3:51
13 - Disco Inferno - 3:34 -
14 - Just a Lil Bit - 3:57 -
15 - Gunz Come Out - 4:24
16 - My Toy Soldier - 3:44
17 - Position of Power - 3:12
18 - Build You Up - 2:55
19 - God Gave Me Style - 3:01
20 - So Amazing - 3:16
21 - I Don't Need 'Em - 3:20
22 - Hate It or Love It (G-Unit remix) (feat. The Game, Tony Yayo, Young Buck & Lloyd Banks) - 4:22

Overview:
The Massacre is the second studio album by American rapper 50 Cent, released March 3, 2005 on Aftermath Entertainment and Interscope Records in the United States. Its initially planned release was pushed five days ahead to avoid Internet leakage. The album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling over 1.14 million copies in its first week. Upon its release, The Massacre received generally positive reviews from most music critics. It was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rap Album, losing to Kanye West's Late Registration at the 48th Grammy Awards.
The Massacre has a music video for every track on the special edition version of the album. The original title for the album was St. Valentine's Day Massacre and was arranged to be released on February 14, 2005, but was postponed and the album's title was shortened to The Massacre. The album was also released in a "censored" version that censors out most profanity, violence, and all drug content. "Gunz Come Out" has inconsistency in the editing, and contains some profanity. This album wasn't as heavily censored as Get Rich or Die Tryin', but it is still a very highly censored album ranking in severity with albums such as Tony Yayo's Thoughts of a Predicate Felon and Nas' Stillmatic.
Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB
With the massive success of 2003’s *Get Rich or Die Tryin’*, driven largely by the narrative of its star surviving nine gunshot wounds, it’s easy to understand the challenge Curtis '50 Cent' Jackson faced in promoting the follow-up. Rather than repeating that storyline, 50 Cent turned to a familiar rap strategy: stirring up beefs. In typical 50 fashion, things escalated quickly. His list of feuds now reads longer than the credits of a rap album.

On just one track, "Piggy Bank," he takes aim at Kelis, Nas, Fat Joe, Shyne, and Jadakiss. Add to that a highly publicized falling-out with The Game, and it’s clear no one, not even his allies, are off-limits. So, it came as little surprise when the release of *The Massacre*—rushed to meet the street's demands—was accompanied by yet another shooting.

The media frenzy surrounding the release feels akin to a blockbuster action movie starring Vin Diesel, where spectacle takes priority. From the exaggerated, superhero-like cover art to the branding ("White America's Worst Nightmare®"), it’s evident that image, not substance, is being sold. But beneath all the hype, there’s still an album to consider.

This time around, Dr. Dre steps back, leaving production in the hands of various collaborators. Perhaps Dre distanced himself for a reason—there’s nothing on *The Massacre* that matches the explosive energy of “In Da Club,” although “Candy Shop” makes a decent attempt at replicating its success.

Overall, *The Massacre* feels formulaic. Lyrically, 50 delivers mechanical, uninspired bars. Musically, it's serviceable, with 78 minutes of G-funk, repetitive loops, dramatic strings, and, of course, gunfire. As a marketing strategy, it’s brilliant—50 Cent knows what his audience craves and gives it to them. However, much more of this, and his career risks going the way of Mike Tyson’s: a swift rise, followed by an inevitable fall.

Back
Top Bottom