• Welcome to RealShit, where Real Discussions happen. Whether it's movies, TV, music, games, or anything else on your mind, RealShit is the place to talk about it. No filters, just honest conversations. Jump in to join the conversation and share what you're thinking.

news John Oliver Slams HBO's Decision to Delay YouTube Segments: “Massively Frustrating”

For threads sharing current events, updates, or important information.

Hollywood Info

Realist One
Reaction score
Shit Coins
Ṩ19
John Oliver isn’t thrilled with HBO’s choice to delay airing Last Week Tonight segments on YouTube. In a chat on The New York Times podcast, Oliver called the decision “massively frustrating,” saying he loved how YouTube gave the show exposure beyond HBO subscribers.
For the 11th season, HBO announced a new plan: holding back Oliver’s main story for a few days after the show airs. Previously, these segments dropped on YouTube the next morning. HBO claims the delay is to encourage more viewers to stream the entire episode on its platform Max.
Oliver admitted he appreciated HBO still sharing the segments but prefers the old schedule. He even voiced hope earlier in the year that the decision would change, posting on X that fans would now need to wait until Thursday to watch the stories on YouTube.
Despite this annoyance, Oliver remains passionate about the show. He reflected on how working with Jon Stewart taught him what burnout looks like but said he hasn’t hit that point. He still finds excitement in creating stories, especially when the team comes up with wild ideas. For now, he’s fully committed and energized by the work.
Last Week Tonight has been renewed through 2026, securing the show through its 13th season.

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...o-delay-last-week-tonight-youtube-1236018796/

Good. I'm all for the "delay".

YouTube should've always been for independent content creators. However, they're now boosting mainstream media and entertainment channels over even individuals that helped make YouTube what it is today.

I'm also not a fan of late-night "comedy". It should stay in its "late-night" timeslot and die a slow death there. I definitely don't want it in my recommended feed.

Back
Top Bottom