• Welcome to RealShit, where Real Discussions happen. Whether it's movies, TV, music, games, or anything else on your mind, RealShit is the place to talk about it. No filters, just honest conversations. Jump in to join the conversation and share what you're thinking.

off-topic Is it worth learning a new language to you?

For threads discussing subjects unrelated to the main forum topics.

Harsh World

Real Fanatic
Reaction score
Shit Coins
Ṩ589
Title Glow
Italify Name
Atomic Wasteland
As for me, it would be, but I have some serious ADHD when it comes to language. Luckily, I have a great family that can act as translators when necessary.

I could easily learn Spanish in high school, which I forgot because I never used it regularly. After all, the sentence structure is essentially the same. But, Japanese is a whole different language.

For those of you that have tried to, how was your experience, and what language did you try to learn? Did it lead to new opportunities or provide you with different perspectives? Also, do you believe it would benefit someone who does not intend to travel to an area where the language is prominent?

I speak 2 languages fluently and can babble a bit in 4 more. This comes in handy whenever I leave the country. I make good $$$ and vacation once a year.

That's pretty neat. I was pretty good at Spanish before, having taken it all 4 years in high-school.

However, it never was practical to speak, so I lost it. I can remember a few words, but that's the extent of it now.

I don't have very much interest in learning a second language. I was exempt from French during high school.
Looking back on essentially all the time wasted to learn Spanish, an exemption would've been nice.

I learned that we needed 2 foreign language classes to get our high school diploma. So, I did it in my first and second years, and since it was an easy class to get an A in, my 3rd and 4th as an elective to keep my GPA up.

Looking back on it, I'm sure there were 2 other courses that I could've done to keep the same GPA, but actually also take something from school that I could retain to even now.

Back
Top Bottom