• Welcome to RealShit, where Real Discussions happen. Whether it's movies, TV, music, games, or anything else on your mind, RealShit is the place to talk about it. No filters, just honest conversations. Jump in to join the conversation and share what you're thinking.

fitness How long should you workout each day?

This general fitness thread covers all aspects of fitness, including workouts, nutrition, wellness tips, lifestyle changes, and fitness advice.
How often do you workout each day? What's the ideal time for each workout?
It really depends on your goals, whether or not you're training to be an elite athlete or bodybuilder, or just want to maintain your current weight, provided you don't change your diet.
Experts tell us that all we need to stay fit is 15 minutes of exercise per day, and this what I get 4-5 times a week.
I would say 15-25 minutes a day of cardio or walking is enough to maintain your weight if nothing else changes and you already have a decent active lifestyle of taking more than 1500 steps per day.

But if you want to lose weight and add muscle, I would probably advise 45 minutes to 1 hour in the gym with proper resting for your goals. For example, if you want to be a powerlifter, you'll want to bench 3 sets of 3 reps, and need to rest a lot longer between sets than if you're benching 4-5 sets of 10-15 reps. In both cases, the time you bench might work out to be the same with rest time + bench time. However, the powerlifting way you're going to get much stronger, if you increase caloric intake, than bigger and leaner, as powerlifting takes a toll on your CNS and requires a heavy intake to continue strength gains.

When I was bodybuilding, it was no less than 2 hours in the gym, sometimes up to 3. I'd do up to 5 sets on a compound and 3-4 on a "secondary compound". Then, I would move on to do 2-3 sets hitting the same muscle once or twice in different isolation variations. Taking the bench as an example, I would do 5 sets on the traditional flat bench, and then move the bar to the floor, take some weight off, and do floor bench presses where the backs of your arms touch the floor before you press back up, reducing the movement and stretch to hit the triceps harder, but still somewhat being a compound exercise.

Now, I'm at about 1 hour in the gym, but more of a jail-style/HIIT routine of my bodybuilding routine by resting for 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes instead of 1 1/2 minutes to 3 minutes between sets. And, I've added cardio to get the fat off, which I didn't do before: It was exercise and then eat 4-6 cheeseburgers, trying to maintain around 5000 calories a day to maintain the weight and also gain as much muscle as possible (though I did have times where I did a clean bulk, but it was much harder to eat that many calories in just chicken breast and salmon, and a lot more expensive).

I'm of the opinion, 30-60 minutes is moderately alright in a day. But I would advise not to follow this rigidly, you should listen to your body. What I do is set a fitness goals for myself. That's what I follow.

Back
Top Bottom