• Welcome to RealShit, where Real Discussions happen. Whether it's movies, TV, music, games, or anything else on your mind, RealShit is the place to talk about it. No filters, just honest conversations. Jump in to join the conversation and share what you're thinking.

discuss DirecTV to Launch Free, Ad-Supported Streaming Service Next Month

This is a thread to discuss anything related to television shows or series.

Cpvr

RealShit Staff
Real Moderator
Reaction score
Shit Coins
Ṩ318
Cherries & Berries
Bolden Your Name
DirecTV is making a bold move into the free, ad-supported TV (FAST) market with the launch of MyFree DirecTV, set to debut on November 15 in the U.S. Unlike its premium offerings, MyFree DirecTV will feature a variety of content at no cost to viewers.

The initial lineup will include channels such as Fox Weather, reruns of A&E’s hit reality show “Duck Dynasty,” live sports betting coverage from SportsGrid, and the MovieSphere channel from Lionsgate, which has previously aired movies like the 2007 remake of “3:10 to Yuma,” “Ender’s Game,” and “Wind River.” Additional channels include Tastemade for food and lifestyle programming, Fuse TV’s Latino-focused El Rey Rebel, PokerGo, Ebony TV, and Nosey, which streams classic daytime talk shows such as “The Steve Wilkos Show,” “Maury,” and “Jerry Springer.”

According to DirecTV, the FAST service will offer both live and on-demand content, with more channels expected to be added throughout 2025. It will be accessible nationwide on mobile devices, online, and through select smart TVs and streaming devices.

The new platform aims to provide additional advertising opportunities while also serving as an entry point for users to explore DirecTV’s paid services. It will feature popular content across genres such as sports, entertainment, kids and family, news, and lifestyle. This announcement coincides with DirecTV raising prices for its satellite and streaming packages.

With the launch of MyFree DirecTV, the company is positioning itself against established FAST players like Pluto TV, Tubi, and the Roku Channel. DirecTV competitor Dish Network has also ventured into this space with its Sling Freestream service.

In an industry-shaping move last month, DirecTV announced plans to acquire Dish Network, creating the largest pay-TV provider in the U.S. with about 18 million subscribers.

The MyFree DirecTV platform will also feature DirecTV’s Your TV content aggregator, which curates a user’s favorite shows and frequently watched content, making it instantly available when the TV is powered on.

For more information and updates on MyFree DirecTV, visitors can check out the service’s official website at myfreedirectv.com.

Amy Leifer, DirecTV’s chief advertising sales officer, expressed confidence in the launch, stating, “DirecTV is committed to providing a TV experience that offers more choices, control, and value. MyFree DirecTV will deliver on that promise while offering new opportunities for advertisers to engage with a wider audience through innovative ad formats.”

The FAST service will be led by industry veteran Kent Rees, who brings two decades of experience, including roles at Sling TV, FAST Studios, and Pop TV. Vikash Sharma, head of product at DirecTV, highlighted Rees’ expertise, saying, “Kent’s deep understanding of the FAST space makes him the perfect leader to shape MyFree DirecTV’s growth and success.”

Source: https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/directv-free-fast-ads-streaming-1236173322/

This sounds promising. I'll be on the lookout for it, and add it as an App to my TV when it's supported.

I already watch Tubi and Freevee (by Amazon). The ads bother me at times, but it does save some cash. Also, you can only get some content on these free platforms whereas you otherwise would expect to be able to rent it from places like Amazon Prime or the Play Store, but they don't support the content even as a rental.

This is indeed a major milestone. I have never seen a TV streaming platform migrated to free and ad-supported services. Trust me; this is indeed a big source of attraction to TV streaming lovers. DirecTV should expect network challenges due to the huge traffic they will get in the coming days. This is the best flexible and cost-effective option for someone like me. Now, I can cross my legs and watch my favourite film for free. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom